This past week, my tween son and I were invited to Opening Night of THE ILLUSIONISTS – Live From Broadway playing for a limited time at the Hollywood Pantages now through March 13th. I went to this show knowing almost nothing about it and I was completely ‘WOWED’ and entertained by this innovative, fresh, unexpected modern day magic meets illusions show! The mind-blowing performances showcase the jaw-dropping talents of some of today’s most incredible illusionists and is full of hilarious magic tricks, death-defying stunts and acts that will keep you on the edge of your seat. And the best part is that is wonderful entertainment for the the whole family!
I would describe The Illusionists as an avant garde, innovative, high tech, magic meets performance art show. It was so captivating, entertaining and enjoyable and I got totally sucked into the thrill of it all. I think what made this show so incredibly unique and enjoyable was the unique and diverse cast of talent and tricks displayed in this show. I don’t think my descriptions will truly do justice to how unique and talented the performers in this show are (seeing is believing), however I wanted to give you a brief overview/tease of what you can expect to see in the show and perhaps entice you to go and see it:
- The Anti-Conjuror (Dan Sperry) is probably the most unique and memorable performer in the show (my son’s fav) because he doesn’t look like your typical magician – more like goth meets a zombie. He performs shock illusions, gross magic and mayhem. He makes you want to pay close attention, yet you want to turn your head away at the same time. LOVE!
- The Manipulator (Yu Ho-Jin) Yu is beautiful and mesmerizing to watch! He uses elegant artistic hand manipulation and mystery with cards that makes you go, ‘How did he do that?’ Yu was recently named Magician of the Year (2014) by the Academy of Magical Arts.
- The Inventor (Kevin James) specializes in magic innovation. He is an inventor, comedian and collector of the strange and unusual and makes a point of reminding us of the state of awe and wonder that we felt as a child. Whether he’s holding a rose or swinging a chain saw, anything is possible with The Inventor.
- The Escapologist (Andrew Basso) specializes in death defying acts and escape artistry ala Harry Houdini. We held our breath as he escaped from handcuffs and being underwater in less than 5 minutes. Unbelievable!
- The Trickster (Jeff Hobson) is the epitome of glamour and showmanship. He acts as the show’s MC and specializes in Comedy Magic. Loved him in all his glitzy glam and sarcastic jokes!
- The Weapon Master (Ben Blaque) is America’s foremost master of the crossbow and has frequently appeared on America’s Got Talent. Ben performs incredibly dangerous acts of dexterity using highly powerful crossbows to shoot various objects supported by his assistant. Intense and riveting to watch!
- The Futurist (Adam Trent) specializes in technology illusions and futuristic magic. He fuses classic magic techniques, dancing, comedy and technology in his performances.
- The Deceptionist (James More) Has a modern approach to magic, involving fast-paced, high-risk illusions. He escaped from flames of fire right before our eyes. Wow!
Sounds pretty fun, entertaining and different, right? I HIGHLY recommend grabbing the whole family and getting tickets to see this excellent show at the Pantages before it disappears in March, I think you are going to love it!
THE ILLUSIONISTS – Live From Broadway at Hollywood Pantages Theatre, 6233 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90028. Now through March 13, 2016