“Slow down, you move too fast, you’ve got to make the morning last.
Just kickin’ down the cobble-stones, lookin’ for fun and feelin’ groovy”
I just couldn’t resist starting off this post with the lyrics from the Simon and Garfunkel song Feeling Groovy because it just perfectly captures this week’s challenge for me. In fact, this is my biggest challenge in life right now: Slowing down, saying ‘NO’, taking the time to be in the moment and just be calm and peaceful. It is SO hard for me to slow down the cadence of my life and be present without thinking about the next thing(s) I have to do. Believe me, I am working on it, but it is hard, can you relate? The Eastern culture calls it ‘monkey mind’ swinging from one thought to the next without staying focused on one thing. Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhhh (said in a Tarzan-like chest banging yell)
So I thought to myself, what changes can I make or what step’s can I take to meet this week’s challenge? What can I do to be more present, less stressed and more peaceful? The first thing that always comes to my mind as a way to calm my mind is meditation. I have tried this before and even taken a meditation class, but it will come as no surprise to you that I found this incredibly challenging. Next, I thought about how much I adore beauty treatments and pampering but that doesn’t quite fit the challenge, too simple. So, what can I do on a semi-regular basis to combat stress and an overly packed life???
So I decided to create a list of things that make me feel peaceful that I can consult whenever I need it, to shift my perspective, shake off my stress and bring me to a calmer state of mind and I am delighted to share it with you:
A List of Things That Make Me Feel More Peaceful
- Being out in nature: Remember to take regular hikes
- Being by the ocean: The ebb and flow of the waves makes me feel serene
- Taking three deep breaths: Simple but VERY effective
- Taking a long hot bath with no time limitations once a week: Aveeno’s Positively Nourishing Claming Body Wash & Lotion with Chamomile & Lavender enhance the experience
- An intense workout where I sweat: Love my Circut Class, MUST GO BACK!!
- A fun playful workout like hula-hooping or dancing to eighties music
- Going to my local farmers market perusing & sampling the season’s bounty
- Cooking without a recipe and making it up as I go along
- Slowly sipping a glass of gorgeous red wine, making it last for hours & savoring every flavor nuance
- Spending a carefree day with my mom shopping & serendipitously discovering unique pieces
- Sleeping in and waking up whenever my body is ready: No Alarms!
- Getting acupuncture: This is my go-to healing modality & it totally calms & heals me
- Diffusing calming & grounding aromatherapy oils in my home & office: It instantly shifts my mood
- Just getting in the car with my family and driving somewhere without a plan
- Shutting down all digital devices by ___ 8? 9? 10pm?: This is probably the toughest one of all!!
So what do you think of my list? Was it helpful? Get any new inspired ideas? I’d love to hear some of your suggestions for reducing stress and achieving more peace in your life. Feel free to share your ideas in the comments below.
Make sure to come back next week for Beautiful Change Challenge #5: Getting Back Into A Fitness Groove
New AVEENO® PURE RENEWAL™ lets you renew your hair to its naturally balanced state daily. Unlike ordinary shampoos, these sulphate-free formulas have Balancing Seaweed Extract; bringing hair back to its naturally healthy, most balanced state with each wash, for beautifully healthy-looking hair. Learn more here http://bit.ly/A1cjWg
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by AVEENO® via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of AVEENO®